- Catalyst Series Blog
- Catalyst Series | Current Season »
- In the Kitchen
- Past Presentations »
- Present Your Work »
In The Kitchen
In The Kitchen is a monthly, salon-style get together where artists at any level or stage can come and hang, ask questions, share expertise, share what's on their minds, and check in with fellow artists and, occasionally, special guests. Free and everyone is welcome! In The Kitchen is an initiative in the Catalyst program, hosted by the curatorial and engagement team at Intermedia Arts.
What you need to know about In The Kitchen:
1. It's a free event (although, sometimes special partnerships are ticketed).
Free for you, free for your boo, and free for your cuz and kidz.
2. This is a salon-style, low-key, chill get-together for artists in the community, like you.
Spread the word and bring a friend.
3. This is a space where you can share knowledge and ask artists questions.
Themes and topics are wide-ranging, such as artistic growth, technique, activism areas, and more. Examples of questions may be:
- Where do other actors go to get headshots?
- Who should I hire as a videographer for my work samples, and what's the price range?
- Do my fellow artists write their own grant proposals? I have grant ideas but I'm not so into writing a proposal. Can I have someone do that? And how much should I pay?
- Do we have a vogue community in Twin Cities that I can be part of?
... or whatever, really. You can also pose a topic or be a guest artist.
4. We got tea and coffee.
Yeah, we do.
5. This event is organized and hosted by Intermedia Arts' Curatorial and Engagement team and often relate to timely issues we are facing in our community and/or the work presetned at Intermedia Arts.
The team includes Adriana Rimpel, Marisa Carr, Julian Hines, and Akiko Ostlund.
Bring your questions, ideas, and feelings. Come chat with your fellow artists.
Past In The Kitchen Events:
Collage Night with Mural Artists
April 24, 2017 | Monday | 5:30-7PM
Join Intermedia Arts' Community Curator and Gallery Installation Coorddinator Joy Spika along with Jessica Kitzman and other muralists whose work is featured in our outdoor gallery (AKA walls) for conversation and art-making in the visual arts aesthetic. There will be an opportunity to create collages, observe, surface questions around successes and challenges in the visual arts, and dialogue with others. Bring your thoughts, feelings, and collage materials (you know you want to get rid of some of those old magazines you found during Spring cleaning ...)
Part of Intermedia Arts' In the Kitchen series
February 19, 2017 | Sunday | 7-10PM
Recommended for ages 18+
BLACKapella is a unique opportunity to celebrate true lyricism during Black History Month. This is the second annual event in which artists of different genres come together to share their narratives acapella to spark dialogue in an atmosphere conducive to doing so. Hosted by S.W.A.G.G. (Super Women Achieving Great Goals) as part of the In the Kitchen series, BLACKapella aim to leave the audience edified, inspired and proud to be BLACK.
Hosted by comedian Ashli Henderson
Complimentary refreshments will be provided and there will be giveaways by Black Excellence.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door.